Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Reflections

I love Sundays! Today was a great service at our church. We had a great crowd, wonderful Christ-centered music, and very challenging message from the Word of God. This morning we covered that in the story of Jonah, that God was determined that the Ninevites would be evangelized to. Also we saw that God takes moments in which we are disobedient, and uses them to mold and equip for his sovereign plan for our lives. The primary challenge was that if we want to see people come to know the Lord through the power and working of the Holy Spirit, we must be willing to die to our selves. Out of death, comes life.

Tonight, we continued our study on worship. The topic tonight was 'A Lifestyle of Worship.' We discovered through Scriptures, that God is not only interested in our words and attitudes, but also our actions. Like the morning service, the theme of total surrender (death to self) to God is way by which we are able to worship God the way He desires. Worship is not about us, it is always about Him. The question that we asked was 'What does your reflection look like?' Basically this refers to are we reflecting God's glory and the cross of Calvary, or are we reflecting with our lives our own personal desires, comforts, and opinions. May we die to self, so that God is glorified, and others are drawn to the saving grace of God.

4 comments:

jeleasure said...

Hi Scott,
I also enjoy Sundays. Man, we get to go to church and be with friends and go out to lunch then come home and watch football!
I had this thought today as I sat and listened to our Sunday School teacher say, "We need to forgive more than seven times" (you know he was referring to Peter's question posed to Jesus). He said, I have to admit, seven times would be difficult for himself.
Now, I don't know what is going on in the World that a man who teaches Bible Study (very talanted, by the way) would confess that he is not a good example of how to forgive! Maybe noone else caught that. But, my point is as yours is in your post. And here it is: "Shouldn't we want to reflect Christ?".
I was blogging with a person who is an apologetist. And, we began discussing what our ministers are not preaching on. I shared with her that I wrote a letter to one of my pastors who asked me to not discuss certain subject matter so he can sleep at night. Any way, with out going into detale, the problem in my church is 'compromise'.

jeleasure said...

Hi Scott,
Are you not feeling well?
You have left your blog empty of comments.
Anyway, I have a new blogger for you to visit. His interest are in Christianity, music and The Nebraska State Corn Huskers. See what you can do to interact with him and maybe add a link.

Here is his link nutuba

Scott Packett said...

Sorry Jim, I have been extremely busy the past month or so. It is difficult working two jobs (Pastor and Executive Director of Non-profit), going to school, being a husband, and blogging. I have felt overwhelmed, and blogging became the least of my priorities at the time. I should be steadily coming back over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your concern and your comments. I will be commenting on them soon. At times, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in one day.
Scott

jeleasure said...

Understood. Take your time. I've been there, too.
Jim