Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Humility

I have noticed over the past few months that one of my greatest, if not the greatest struggles is with the sin of pride. I find myself spending much time in thought and speech, focused on the wrongs and sins of others, and why they should think and be like me. Even as I type this, it is so difficult for me not to hit the backspace and not post on this topic. However, I truly believe that we need to pursue humility in all we do, because the opposite of of humility is pride. I read a book a year ago that was very effective in kicking my rear end, and now I thought I should revisit and share with you guys. The book is entitled, Humility: True Greatness, authored by C.J. Mahaney. The following are passages of Scripture and quotes found in the book. I hope that you gain some insight through these, as did I.

"This is the one to whom I will look; he who is humble and contrite in Spirit." -Isaiah 66:2


"The real issue here is not if pride exists in your heart; it's where pride exists and how pride is being expressed in your life." -C.J. Mahaney


"At every stage of our Christian development and in every sphere of our Christian discipleship, pride is the greatest enemy and humility our greatest friend." -John Stott


"The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate." -Proverbs 8:13


Why does God hate pride?


"Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence." -C.J. Mahaney


"Pride is more than the first of the seven deadly sins; it is itself the essence of all sin." -John Stott


"Pride takes innumerable forms but has only one end: Self-Glorification!" -C.J. Mahaney


"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." -James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5


"We cannot free ourselves from pride and selfish ambition; a divine rescue is absolutely necessary."
-C.J. Mahaney



I am so thankful for the rescue that is provided in the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Now we are in desperate need of His grace daily, because we cannot daily rescue ourselves from the sin of pride. God help us to fear you and express this in all humility.

1 comment:

Scott Packett said...

Steve,
I checked out the sites, and I realize that some people get hurt in churches. I also realize that we all have different experiences and different opinions, and I respect yours and those whom you referred me to. However, I have had a different experience with SGM and C.J. I have several friends that attend churches within the SGM that have had wonderful experiences. So while I appreciate your concern, I do not want to be caught up in bitter disputes about churches. So I respectably request that you do not use this blog for those purposes. I have benefited greatly from the leadership and example of SGM, and appreciate the reformed stand that they take.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I hope you will continue to add to the conversation on this blog.

In Desperate Need of Mercy,
Scott