Thursday, September 20, 2007

Evangelicals and Politics

I know, I probably should try to stay away from the whole politics theme, but it is difficult when you hear about it constantly. I am amazed at how much time and energy many evangelicals spend on backing or bashing political candidates. As I was browsing the news headlines online today, I came across several articles talking about who the evangelical right is saying that Christians shouldn't vote for. The first to get a bashing was Fred Thompson. Apparently, well according to Dobson, Thompson can't figure out what denomination he is, but claims to be an 'unbaptized' Baptist. The next person they are not promoting on the Republican side of the aisle is Rudy G. The reasons of course are his stands on, you guess it, homosexual marriage and abortion.

I had to sit back and just ask, why? Why should a predominate figure like Dobson, who has done 'some' good, be involved in this type of bashing. I am really very surprised that the Religious Right aren't promoting Gov. Huckibee, because he is a baptist minister. But then again, he is pushing issues such as global warming, poverty, and those 'less' important issues.

What really bothers me the most about all this, is that these are the Christians that the entire American public gets to see. There is no wonder why no one likes Christians these days. It's mainly because no one knows any real ones. We all, in the eyes of the public, fall in the same category as these public Christian figures. We really need to do something about it. There is no wonder prayer is not in schools and abortion is legalized. I wouldn't blame the world for being worldly, I would go as far to say that is the fault of the same people who is supposedly trying to stop it.

I guess I should stop, but this really bothers me at my core. I think we need to stop worrying about getting a Christian that fits our criteria in the Oval Office, and begin to worry and think about how we can change these things ourselves. Because apparently we can't rely on those Christians in the public eye to do it for us. We really need to just adopt the ideology of Jesus, and follow his example, "Love God and Love People", period.

No comments: