Friday, September 14, 2007

Thirsty?

Have you ever considered why you do the things you do? I have really been examining my life lately, and what I have seen has troubled me somewhat. I started out by asking myself this simple question, 'What is your motivation?'. I know it sounds kind of typical of a 'Christian' to ask a question like this, but humor me. I have been shocked at how self-consumed I am. I mean, I seem to always worry about what so and so is going to think about me if I do this or don't do that. I also seem to look at things from the perspective of, 'how is this going to effect me?'. So this seems to answer my question of what my motivation is, ME.

This morning I came across this verse in Psalms 63, that really put my life in perspective: "O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water." I have been focusing way to much energy on myself, and looking to God only when I need him.

How I long to thirst after God in the way that the Psalmist does in this passage. What would life look like if my only motivation was to grow closer to God and bring glory to His name?

No comments: