Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Jesus?

Today, I was listening to a local Christian radio station, and
they were asking listeners to call in and give them things
that they are thankful for. The whole idea was, to get these
things that people are thankful for to fill the entire
alphabet. I listened to it for about a half an hour, and there
were numerous callers, saying they were thankful for anything from their spouses to their churches. I began to get a little bothered, because no one was thankful for the one person that means the most to all that follow him. The person I am referring to is Jesus. I got so frustrated that I actually called in, which I usually leave up to my wife, and said that I am thankful for Jesus. Remember, this is a 'Christian' radio station, and no one is thankful for Jesus.

So who is this man-God that we claim to follow. Before I give a Biblical illustration of Jesus, I would like to comment on something. Have you noticed that more and more people are fleeing from the Christian faith? I begin to wonder why this is happening. I believe the fundamental reason is the absence of Jesus in our 'Christian' culture. For the first time in history, one can visit a church service, any church service across the country, and never hear the name of Jesus even mentioned. How can this be? Have we 'emerged' so far in our faith, that we no longer need Jesus? We wonder why so many churches are lacking strong, masculine, and Godly men. The reason for this, in my opinion, is that men need a hero, a strong leader to follow. As in the words of Mark Driscoll, "men can't follow someone they can beat up, they need someone who they can follow".

The following description of Jesus, gives us hope. It gives us someone who is strong and mighty that we can actually look up to and follow. "Then I saw Heaven open wide—and oh! a white horse and its Rider. The Rider, named Faithful and True, judges and makes war in pure righteousness. His eyes are a blaze of fire, on his head many crowns. He has a Name inscribed that's known only to himself. He is dressed in a robe soaked with blood, and he is addressed as "Word of God." The armies of Heaven, mounted on white horses and dressed in dazzling white linen, follow him. A sharp sword comes out of his mouth so he can subdue the nations, then rule them with a rod of iron. He treads the wine-press of the raging wrath of God, the Sovereign-Strong. On his robe and thigh is written, King of kings, Lord of lords."
(Revelation 19:11-16)

Jesus. If we view Jesus in this light, he is no longer in the words of Derek Webb, "some white middle class Republican. He is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. We have no other option than to desire to follow this man-God. If you notice, he is not wearing a label with a certain denomination or creed, but a crown, a robe soaked in blood, and he is addressed by the title "Word of God". This is the Jesus I want to follow, and represent with my life. How about you?


No comments: